Dear Dog owners

Dear Dog owners

I dashed out of home today and was in a hurry to catch the local bus. I sprinted down the staircase, hopped over flowerpots, hurried out of the front gate, jumped onto gravel and landed in a pile of poop.
The poop was fresh, recently excreted out of a dog's behind, and it was a plentiful pile. So I surmised the dog was well fed; definitely not a stray.
I scanned the street for the guilty excreeter. My eyes landed on a smug man walking the ugliest pomeranian I had ever seen. It could've been that dog or some other, I couldn't tell. But I had to go back home and wash up. The callousness of a dog owner landed me in poop. I completely understand that dog owners love their pets, I love dogs too; but that gives me no right to litter the pavements. What if I owned a pet bird and allowed it to shit on your car windshield, would you not protest? Being a "dog lover" doesn't absolve you from your duties as a citizen. You cannot inconvenience an unsuspecting pedestrian just because you own a dog or love a dog. If you think it is your moral duty to feed starving strays, it is your duty to clean up after them as well.
Let’s get this clear, no one is against you or your dog. You can keep a dozen dogs, cough out their fur,wallow in their piss and reek of them. Nobody cares. What concerns us is: having to dodge their piss on the staircase and their poop on the pavements.
When the Supreme Court passed orders in favour of dog owners, it did not exempt you from following basic hygiene norms.
Would you like it if your neighbour’s kid shat on your doorstep? And if you protested, they flatly told you they are "children lovers". Sounds stupid, doesn't it?
So do you when you leave dog waste behind and then talk of animal rights.
Trust me; if your dog could scoop up his own crap, I'm certain he would.

Comments

  1. even i hate pets shitting on the road, pavement and public areas, in Japan people carry bags so as to collect the shit and throw it in the bin. Hope so people in India realize this and do as the needful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lata.
    If the traffic wasn't enough to stress an average pedestrian, we now have to hop over dog poop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Journey to the center of the mind

A strange experience in a Mumbai local

I’d like to speak to the manager